Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Laundry: Home-Recipe Review

For the past month I have been using a combination of 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup borax for laundry. I set the water temperature on the hottest setting (kills dustmites).

This works quite well. Only once did the laundry smell musty--and I think it's because I over-filled it. The towels aren't Downy-soft, but they aren't too hard, either. The laundry doesn't smell vinegar-y, but I do admit I miss the smell of "clean laundry."
For a while I tried many things to get the laundry to smell, well, like fresh Downy-soft laundry. I added essential oils (various solo and combinations of lemon, lavendar, rosemary, sweet orange, and clove) to a wet wasch cloth and put it in the drier with the wet laundry. This did nothing. I added essential oils to the rinse cycle--no effect. I added essential oils to the rinse cycle along with vinegar--no effect. I added essential oils just to the laundry itself in the drier (no wash cloth). That didn't work either. I am currently of the opinion that there's no real way to infuse the laundry with "clean smell."

Overall impressions: I like this. It saves money and I will continue to do my laundry in this fashion.

No comments: