Sunday, October 7, 2007

Jen's gone crunchy granola

I kinda thought I'd be the last person in the universe to do something like this. I typically gawk at conspiracy theorists and "you can't trust anything from the grocery store" types. (No offense to any here.)

Every time I read sciencedaily.com, though, I find more and more "safe stuff" that's actually completely harmful and they just found out. *sigh* Where does it end? Teflon kills parrots AND causes low birth weight in newborns. Who knows what else it does. In newborn umbilical cords, they find a bunch of toxins including DDT that are supposed to be completely no longer part of our food intake... Baby toys and other imports from China are now found to have this and that. Pools cause asthma. Hot tubs cause lung disease. Factory workers from plastic and popcorn producing factories are getting pulmonary fibrosis. (It's the chemicals in plastic / artificial butter.) Hell, if you can't trust popcorn what can you trust???

I'm going green. This is the last straw. God knows what's in these veggies I buy at the store. Or in anything else, for that matter. Poor J has skin irritations from who knows what. Sophia has inflammatory skin disease. All three of us have crazy allergies. When I was reading about inflammatory skin disease, it's from over-exposure to toxins and allergens... not sure what kinds, just some kind of over-exposure.

I went to the health food store and bought chemical-free, dye free, fragrance and preservative free cleaners, laundry soap, shaving cream, shower gel, hand soap, dish soap, etc. Then I went to Lowe's and bought $130 worth of vegetable and fruit plants that I will grow organically if it kills me, damn it. We now have green peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers, okra, beans, squash, cucumbers, a bunch of lettuce plants that I can just take the leaves from as needed, two things of tomatoes... I also have all my own herbs (and have been doing this for over a year)--chives, marjoram, basil, rosemary, lavender, mint, lemon balm, thyme... My uncle is an organic farmer. I need to contact him for help on this.

I'm on the verge of making my own granola cereals from organic oats, etc., from the health food store. Forget preservatives and dyes, pesticides.... This is ridiculous.

I told J we're moving to MN to live off the land. LOL. (Children raised in the city have higher rates of asthma and allergies. Probably can't be good for parrots either!!)

No comments: